The Readiness Acceleration & Innovation Network
RAIN is a 501(c)3 nonprofit life science incubator educating our community to grow local talent, companies, and jobs in BioTech. We serve as the collaborative, boundary-crossing environment that serves to spark creativity and help innovators overcome the challenges they face by providing direct access to the people and resources needed to succeed.
What We Do
RAIN is excited to train the scientific workforce of Tacoma. From our middle school camps and programs, to our high school interns and iGEM team, we are preparing students in STEAM.
This training continues in our collegiate programs in molecular biology and the internships we offer to post graduates.
- Filling the Gap from University to Workforce Ready
- Accelerating High Schoolers to Success in College Acceptance
- Introducing Students to Careers in BioTech and Research
- Providing Internships to Prepare Students for jobs
- Creating an Ecosystem of Scientists for Tacoma's Future
We have a network of UW scientists and engineers that work on service contracts for commercial companies and governmental organizations that maintain RAIN's sustainability.
Our student Interns work along side our PhDs to learn and develop skills for the workforce of our region.
- Protein Analysis
- Cell Tissue Culture
- DNA Sequencing
- Isolation & Characterization of Antibodies
Our RAIN Science Team includes PhDs from Johns Hopkins, UW, Stanford, and the CDC. There are many collaborative projects going on in our labs and affiliated partners. We have included a link for you to review some ongoing projects.
We always have new research projects on the runway so check back soon!
- Mobile Platform for Multiplexed Detection and Differentiation of Disease-Specific Nucleic Acid Sequences, Using Microfluidic Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification and Smartphone Detection (Collaboration).
- Genomics of Vitamin D Supplementation and Warfighter Nutritional Resilience (Collaboration).
- Affordable, Paper-based Assay for Detection of Arsenic Contamination
- Wearable Technologies: Multiple Upcoming Projects in Development
- Environmental DNA (eDNA) Detection
Get In Touch
SuperHeroes of Science
Join us on the second Monday of the month at 6pm to learn about emerging scientific technology from some of the country's most innovative and influential scientific minds.
JOIN the ecosystem
Are you an researcher, entrepreneur, or innovator in the life sciences or healthcare? We are here to help you succeed.
Meet Our Partners
RAIN is a Network Partner of Keiretsu Forum Northwest and hosts Keiretsu meetings monthly. Members enjoy well-screened, quality deal flow, group mindshare in evaluating deals, and association in a powerful, intelligent group of professionals.
RAIN has UW professors in our labs with close collaborations on projects. We also host many UW Tacoma students with other collegiate and high school students on many ongoing products.
The MultiCare Institute for Research & Innovation is a nationally renowned institution that conducts clinical trials and a wide array of medical research. RAIN helps to develop the workforce, attract sophisticated research talent, and grow a garden of life science innovation around the MultiCare Health System in Tacoma